Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Luck in poker

For those of you new to the game, you will here that you can go a long time without cashing in a MTT and that you should have a big bankroll to withstand the short term swings of MTT play. While poker is a game of skill long-term, there is a huge amount of luck that can impact you short term. Sometimes that is in your favor, though I hope not because that usually means you are making poor decisions and you need to get lucky. Other times it is not in your favor. Take this tourney where I was destined not to win.

After about 20-30 minutes of play I have moved my 1500 chips up to 2000. I get dealt AA. Someone raises before me to 150 (blinds are 20/40) and I make it 500 to go. Flop comes out 6,8,10 rainbow. He bets and I raise allin and he calls after taking a minute or two. He flips over KK. Turn is a 7 and the river is a 9 and we split.

Moments later I have AK. A couple of people limp in and I raise which eliminates all but one person. Flop comes out rags and he bets and I raise him again all-in since he has a smaller stack. He calls and flips over AQ. The turn brings a Q.

That cripples me and I push in with QQ on the button. The small blind has KK and I am out.

Now I am not someone who is cursed, nor do I believe that the poker Gods are against me. That is just poker and mathematically sometimes those hands that are 15% to win will win. Actually it will happen about 1 in 7 times. Sometimes that happens all in one tourney and there is little you can do.

So other than my wonderful tourney, I played some 5/10 last night. I am not playing nearly enough because I have had family in town for three weeks now. The last of my family leaves tomorrow which means I will be playing my usual 4 hours a day.

So this is where the bankroll stands as of now...

Jan 1 bankroll - $5252
Apr 19 bankroll - $11,364
Profit - $6112

Tonight I hope to play a tourney or two and maybe some 5/10. I may just be playing some PS2 with my brother though. If not I will resume tomorrow. Good luck to all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home