Monday, January 30, 2006

Up in flames - results from 1/29

I just had to tell this story because I thought it was so funny. Saturday we had the pinewood derby race for cub scouts. For those who are not aware, you make a car out of wood and race it. The car cannot be more than 7 inches long and it cannot weigh more than 5 ounces. So CJ and I make this really nice car. We work on it for two weeks and we both were shocked on how well it looked. On Saturday morning we weigh it, and it comes up exactly 5 ounces. We test drive it and it is rolling perfectly straight. Not bad for two guys with no experience. Noon is race time!!!!!!

So at noon my son's car, which he named Fire, is in the first heat. He blows away the other kids by 4 lengths. He was thrilled. The next level he wins again in similar fashion. So here I am with my chest puffed out feeling like I am the man. My son thinks I am a God and all is well. Until the final race. What happened next has never happened at this Pinewood Derby. Fire was in lane 1 and apparently was not centered in the track correctly. The race starts and our beautiful car flips off the track, falls 10 feet and hits a chair. Three of the wheels fall off and my beautiful car is destroyed. The crowd just went 00000000hhhh. CJ is stunned. They decide that they will redo the race and I have 10 minutes to get this car in shape to run. The pit crew tries it's best, and we finally get the car back on the track but needless to say it is not performing nearly as well and we finish last in the final heat, one spot out of winning a medal. Everybody there said it was the best crash they have ever seen.

Fortunately at age 6 kids rebound very well. A trip to Chick-fil-A and some ice cream and he is as good as new. The car though will never be the same.

Ok now for me. I played like a donkey in the WSOP tourney. I was reraised almost every time I was in a pot, and three times I folded top pair to a big reraise. Finally I have KQ on the button and I raise and I get two callers. The flop comes Q107 and I bet out after two people check. Only one caller this time. The turn is a 5. He checks, I bet out again, and then he raises me all-in. I rule out AQ, QQ, 1010, because he would have raised preflop or right after the flop. 77 is possible but again I think post flop he raises. 55 is out of the question. Q7, Q5, or 10,7 or 10,5 he would not call the preflop raise. So either this guy called a big raise with Q10 or I have him beat most likely. I call. Of course he has Q10 and I lose. Now I know you should not call off all your chips but that is exactly what I did. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I had no reads on these people and I did not need to do that. That mistake will not happen on my WSOP tourney this Saturday night.

I did win again playing 5/10 though, and my profit for the day was $165. Not bad, but not nearly as good as I hoped. Well sorry for the long post, I hope you enjoyed it.

Jan 1 bankroll - $5252
Jan 30 banroll - $6745
Profit - $1493
Feb 1 bankroll - $7252

5 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Blogger Gregory Damien said...

Sorry about the WSOP tourney. I did a BillinWSOP post in the Bird Cage.

Even though you are roughly $500 short of you revised Jan Target you are doing very well.

Please do not push to make an arbitrary target.

Play your game.

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger billinga said...

Good advice Omenic. Goal setting is very good and a +EV move. Changing your style to in order to stretch yourself to a goal is a -EV move.

I do have two days though so I am not counting myself out of the running yet. Tonight I will be two-tabling 5/10 games so that will help. Tomorrow though I have bowling night and that will tie up most of my playing time.

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey billinga..

Seems you're getting somewhere, even though you didn't reach your monthly goal. I believe you are heading in the right direction, and I look forward to keep on reading your blog in the future. Have caught myself reading it more frequently and it's quite interesting.

Good luck at the tables ;)

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Quackpot said...

Keep up the good work. Whatever you do don't follow my footsteps. lol I got up early and can't do a thing now.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger billinga said...

Thanks for the kind words Fonde. I try to make it interesting if I can. I know with WSOP sats, the upcoming season 2 of the Bluff Poker Tour, and my run with the 5/10 games, it should be fun. Plus I have my live trip to Tunica for four days of poker to report on in two weeks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home