Saturday, December 24, 2005

Preflop hole patched - Results from 12/23

Well like the title indicates, I found a preflop strategy that fixed my aggressive preflop play. I went from a VP$IP of 28% down to just over 16% last night. Man did it feel weird. I kept thinking that I was folding way too much. Why can't I play that A9o from early position (because it is a -EV play). The problem is even if you play "perfect" poker preflop, there is still your postflop play. Mine was real good yesterday, but not great. Then there is the very annoying luck factor. Every time I get upset at how lucky someone is I remember a great quote. This one quote has changed my view on poker more than any other quote. I saw it on PocketFives.com. The quote is "without luck there is no skill in poker". Interesting huh? The theory is that if the best cards preflop won 100% of the time, then there would be no skill. Things like bluffing people off of a pot or some calculated semibluffs would not work because the guy with the best hand preflop would win all the time. It is the factor of luck that gives room for skill to take place. Anyway I like the quote, and it keeps me sane. Especially on nights like last night. Here is a sampling of the hands that I lost with last night. As you are reading figure how much you think I won or last in my session.....

1010 vs KJ - Lost a $39 pot when the river brings a King
QQ vs A8 - Lost a $30 pot when the river brings an Ace
AK vs 98 - I lose a $65 pot on a flop of K97 when the river comes up an 8 to give the guy two pair
KK vs 109 - I lose a $39 pot when the river comes up a 9 to give the guy two pair
KK vs A8s - I lose a $59 pot when the guy turns a flush after I flop a set of Kings
99 vs Q10 - I lose a $43 pot when I flop a set only to have the guy river a straight
QQ vs KJ - I lose a $23 pot when the turn is a King
A7s vs J6 - I flop the nut flush only to have the guy go runner runner for a boat ($34 pot)
AQ vs A3 - I lose a $37 pot when the flop comes up A38 and I did not figure him for two pair
88 vs Q3s - I lose a $30 pot when he turns a Queen after a rag board.

Total value of pots lost - $399!!! In addition 3 other hands I folded KK or QQ when I was checkraise postflop with a Axx board. All of that happened in a span of 4 hours covering 480 hands. So needless to say I posted a loss, but it was only for $45. After my rakeback I lost less than $20 to drop the bankroll down to $5,233.17. What is funny is that I am actually encouraged as I write this post. There is no way that trend will continue. If I could have won half of those pots I post a $150 win for almost $40/hr return. So I will continue my preflop strategy, (it works), and I am sure we will see some better results. I am still pleased that over the 3,250 hands that I played this week at this level I am up 2.2bb/100.

Anyway I told you guys and gals in the beginning that I was not a pro. I am someone just like you trying my best to give this a shot. I hope you stick with my through the ups and downs and we can all learn together. Until next time, good luck on the felt, and have a great holiday season!!!

6 Comments:

At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Billinga,

That is a lot of bad beats. At least you didn't loose too much.

Keep it up.

,PokerBen

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Gregory Damien said...

merry Christmas Bill.

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Admin said...

Bill,

Did you drop your VP$IP by using the starting hands chart?

Haven't been here for a while, but it's cool to see you're getting a following. I think Omenic is stalking you. ;)

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger billinga said...

lol Jeremy. That is ok I like having a following. To answer the question, the chart is the sole reason why I have lowered my VP$IP. You have to be disciplined, but if you can stick to the chart the rest will take care of itself.

 
At 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I agree 100% agree with the last few comments. This blog has great opinions and this is why I continue to visit, thanks! ##link#

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger billinga said...

Welcome Doc. Thanks for the good words.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home