Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Black Tuesday - Worst night ever

Well I am in pain as I am writing this. You cannot imagine how much pain. Today I played some 2/4, 3/6 and then I saw some people who moved up to 5/10. I gave it a shot yet again. I regret that decision.

I lost 3 buyins in an hour. $3000. The sad thing is I really did not misplay any hands.

66 vs 45s. I flop a set. On a flop of Q67. The turn is an 8 and kills me.
AA vs JJ. Allin preflop. J flops and I am dead.
AJ on a Jxx flop. The aggressor has QQ this time.

So the 10k month is history, the 30k before the trip is history, and I feel like I was hit by a car. I immediately stopped playing for the night and now that 45 minutes have passed I can write about it.

So what are the lessons?

1) You can take a shot at the higher level, but make sure you cap the buyins that you will lose.

2) Now that I have taken my shot I will no longer play 5/10 until I get to 50k. I cannot afford to screw around like that again.

3) Losing almost a months profit sucks, but you can and will rebuild. Just go back to the plan.

4) While I feel humiliated, I am still a winning player. Every player has gone through this. How I react to it will determine the person and the player I will be.

So I believe I will come out of this more determined. I am going back to 1/2, 2/4, 3/6. Like I said 5/10 is OFF the board for me. While I believe I kept my aggression up at the new table and I was not scared, I cannot afford losses like that.

Well that is the raw and honest truth. I feel like I let everyone down, especially myself. But the clouds will clear and the sun will come out.

10 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Blogger billinga said...

Thanks for the kind words Lyall. I am still recovering from last night. I was literally sick from that performance. I will get back to basics starting tonight if I feel better.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Gregory Damien said...

Hey, I got 3rd in the Poker Analysis game. It was a tourney night.

Sad to hear of the ring losses.

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could have had the same type of losing hands at 2/4 or 3/6. It just happened to be the day that you stepped it up to 5/10. Had it been a day that you were running hot, you would have an entirely different perspective. Statistically speaking, you were due for a losing day. Don't beat yourself up about it. Your obviously a fine poker player. Good luck.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger billinga said...

Thanks guys for the support. I know that you are right. I am a winning player. It just hurt to see all that money go at once. Tonight I will clear my head and heart and be on the attack.

I guess the good thing about this is that I did not lose my aggression playing at those tables. If one of those hands goes my way we dont even have this conversation.

 
At 12:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill, thanks for posting the bad as well as the good. I'm sure it's painfull to write about but by doing so I hope it helps you at future tables. You are a great player and I look forward to hearing about the big days that will help ease the pain of Tuesday's loses!
Best of luck,
KARR

 
At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree with karr's statement about posting your bad results also.
i look forward to reading future posts, and am pulling for you to get back on track.

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger billinga said...

Thanks guys. I feel the only way to see an accurate picture is to post all the ups and downs. I hope that we all learn from them and we can go on to become better players.

 
At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to see that you had a bad night like this. It must hurt like hell when you are playing for that kindof money. It's true what other people say though. You are a winning player, and you have proven yourself "worthy" for several times up until now.

You'll get right back on track again. Just keeo your head up ;)

 
At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill, I use pokertracking to post all of my ups and downs and sometimes it is very painful to enter the downs. I too lost about 10% of my bank on Tuesday night. I was dealt pocket K's..flop came AAA...I bet 3 times the pot, was raised, I then pushed in and yes.....he held the case A. 20 minutes later I had pocket JJ's, flop came KJ8...he bet, I raised, he pushed in, I licked my chops and pushed and indeed he had KK in his hand. I thought and thought about my actions and right or wrong I would do it again after my observations of these players and what they were playing. Thanks for the email. I sent on to Matt and we will set what happens. Pokershare is a very interesting site to play on. The maniac factor is huge. Very unpredictable which makes it hard to be patient when you see huge pots being taken down with very questionable hands. That being said patience is the key for me. I have doubled my deposit and like the clean look of the software.

 
At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was me Mufasa007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home