Wednesday, March 01, 2006

A reality check - February recap

This is a hard post for me to write. But I must be honest with myself if I am ever going to improve. Here it is....

I am not going to hit 100k in 2006.

February was my worst month in my 14 month online career. My bankroll went up $23 in one month. That is beyond sad. I am essentially a break even player in my 5/10 experiment so far. I will keep focusing at the 5/10 game because I truly think I can beat it. That being said, I do not want to kid myself either. Over the last two months my bankroll has grown $1600. Last year I would have been thrilled with this amount, but obviously that pace is not going to get me over 15k.

So what to do? Give up? Close down the blog and go into hiding?

HELL NO!!!!!!

But I will be realistic. My goals for the month of March and any subsequent months are going to change. Here are the goals for the Month of March.....

5/10 Limit goals - 1.5bb/100 hands
$25 NL goals - 6bb/100 hands
MTT goals - 100% ROI

I will continue to post my bankroll information as well.

One other thing. I will get my bankroll to 100k and beyond. This is not just talk. This is a fact. Will it be by the end of 2006? Right now I would have to say no. But it can and will be done. I may be the only one reading this blog by the time I make it, but I will make it.

Here are my current numbers...

Jan 1 bankroll - $5252
Mar 1 bankroll - $6883
Profit - $1631

Good luck to everyone out there. March will be a much better month!!!!

2 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How many hours do you think you have spent playing poker this year? Is the hourly rate worth it? Is poker still fun or is it all about business?

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger billinga said...

Those are really good questions pokaplaya. I always wondered how people could say that poker is a grind. I have a ton of fun playing poker. By incorporating NL and MTT, it has helped restore the fun of poker for me. I can see that playing limit every day could become a grind. But I am still at the point that I am constantly learning so I do not feel that is the case.

Now how many hours do I spend playing poker? The true answer is not enough/too much. I do not play poker enough hours to get to this 100k. If I played full time I would reach it. As it stands now I play about 25-30 hours a week. I wont play during the week until the kids are in bed because I am not going to waste time that I could spend with them in order to play poker. So that means that I do not play until 8pm during the week. On weekends unless I am in a tourney I am not playing because I am out with the kids or my wife. I used to play Sunday mornings while they were at Church, but now I am using that time to practice bowling. I will play on Sunday nights though.

So while I do love the game of poker, I love my wife and kids much more. If that slows my run down then so be it. I am still relatively young (37) and I figure I have many good years left in this game.

So my hourly return is less than $8/hour. I could work at McDonalds and make more. But I have a good main job that pays the bills and for now poker is a hobby that actually earns me money. Not that bad a gig at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home